Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Weigh In Wednesday


I started off my journey at 350 lbs. according to my doctors scale. Give or take, I think the nurse was trying to be nice when she was evening out the scale. I knew I wasn't trying really anymore, but I didn't really know how out of control my weight had gotten. That is definitely the highest I've seen the scale. Besides putting back on all the weight I had lost previously times two, I didn't fit into my clothes comfortably, my larger comfy clothes were a bit snug. I tended to reach for sweats instead of jeans to avoid being uncomfortable, especially after eating a rather large meal. My energy levels were low, I had zero energy for exercise. I laid around in bed all day watching t.v. or movies and t.v. shows on the internet via my laptop, phone or iPad  I was just flat out ridiculously lazy. There was always tomorrow to get up and move around, but the thing is that tomorrow never really came, I made no effort at all. Then New Years came around.. I never made a resolution before to lose weight, it seemed a bit tacky and cliche to me, but I needed to start somewhere, and I had a chance to along with a ton of other people and a huge support group community on Facebook. I decided to hop in on my first 24 day Challenge, that of course went way beyond 24 days. I just love the energy!!

How do I feel today? I have more energy, I eat more healthy and am more aware of how good I feel when I eat good foods vs. how crappy I feel when I don't. I've known for awhile what a balanced meal is, and what good nutrition is from my own research and a bit off college classes I've taken towards my nursing degree. The problem is, I just didn't care, I craved and wanted Chips, Pepsi, Snickers.. Burgers, Fries... Fats, Lipids Sugars Yum. I wasn't ready to quit all that, food was literally my drug. It still is a struggle, and you hear it all the time. Moderation. I have these once in awhile. The difference is.. it's not everyday. I had a burger a couple weeks ago to satisfy my craving... calm the lion so to speak  I ate half the burger, half the fries, half the Pepsi .. and gave the rest to my son who just got home from school that day. He was more than happy to share with me. And I didn't have to deal with saving the left overs for later. I was satisfied and moved on to better foods for my next meal. 

I'm glad I started this journey, and pray everyday I can stick to it. This is actually the longest I've stuck to anything, and believe me I've tried just about every stupid thing out there aside from surgery. Fasting, Lemonade diet. I took phentermine for 2 months and dropped 50 pounds, only to gain it back double over a period of time after I quit. I was actually 330 when I started phentermine and dropped down to 280. So I gained it all back plus an extra 20 lbs. Nothing like starting over. The difference this time? It's something I'll be sticking with, a lifestyle change, eating healthy, exercising  something I can stick with for the rest of my life. 

No comments: